Learn more About Us
Aprenda más sobre nosotros
Resurrection Parish is both young and old. The parish was formed in 1992 when the congregations of St. Veronica and St. Francis Xavier were merged into one. Both were old parishes, with St. Francis being founded in 1888 and St. Veronica in 1904. The St. Francis church building, which had been dedicated on May 26, 1929 by George Cardinal Mundelein, was remaned Resurrection by Joseph Cardinal Bernadin.
St. Francis Xavier was originally founded as a mission of the German parish of St. Aloysius, in an area of the city which was as yet undeveloped, without utilies or paved roads. It gradually grew and thrived, with the current rectory coming in 1901, the school building in 1906 and a convent, our current offices and parish center, in 1925. The cornerstone for the current church structure was laid in 1927 and the first Mass in our church was celebrated on Christmas Day in 1928.
(For more information on our church history, please see the page titled "St. Francis Xavier/St. Veronica", where one can find pages scanned from "A History of the Parishes of the Archdiocese of Chicago" with permission of its editor, Rev. Msgr. Harry C. Koenig, S.T.D.)